Regional Illinois Airports Prioritize Wildlife Safety




Staff from DuPage Airport (DPA) in West Chicago, Joliet Regional Airport, DeKalb Taylor Municipal Airport, the Greater Kankakee Airport, Central Illinois Regional Airport at Bloomington-Normal, Lake in the Hills Airport and Chicago Executive Airport, in Wheeling, took part in a wildlife hazards seminar at DPA conducted by the U.S. Department of Agriculture Wildlife Services and the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA). The seminar is required to comply with annual training requirements set forth under the FAA-approved Wildlife Hazard Management Plan.

        “Safety is our number one priority here at the airport, but wildlife and natural surroundings are an important component of our ecosystem,” says David Bird, executive director of the DuPage Airport Authority (DAA). “This seminar provided all attendees with both a good understanding of strategies for keeping animals away from danger, as well as how wildlife aviation incidents can be reduced.”

        With more than 3,000 acres of land at the DuPage Airport, wildlife is omnipresent. Protection and preservation of natural wildlife by the DAA is a year-round goal, and critical steps are regularly taken to help prevent wildlife aviation incidents by modifying food, water and sheltering resources through several diverse initiatives. Recently, the DAA invested more than $850,000 in installing more than two miles of wildlife perimeter fencing with a buried chain-link skirt to safely prevent coyotes, foxes and rodents from digging under the fence and into the active airfield. The DAA plans to continue installation of the wildlife skirt throughout the remaining six miles of airfield fencing.

        According to the FAA, birds account for 97 percent of wildlife aviation incidents, and mammals the other 3 percent. Whether it’s a plane encountering a flock of birds or coyotes wandering near a runway, wildlife hazards can pose dangerous threats to pilots/passengers, airplanes and equipment.

        Airports must take a proactive stance in protecting species and mitigating the potential for wildlife strikes at or near the airport. This might mean safely altering habitats in a manner that deters birds and other mammals from wanting to make their home near the airport, or implementing innovative mechanisms that keep wildlife away.

 

 

Edit ModuleShow Tags

More from Natural Awakenings

Hacking Your Health Live Comes to Chicago

Tiffany Hinton, of GF Mom Certified, is bringing a new style of health event geared toward families looking for a healthier, happier lifestyle to Chicago.

Midewin Tallgrass Prairie Attracts Community ‘Champions’

This year, a record five Joliet-area companies—DuPont, Ecolab, Exelon, Harrah’s Joliet, and Waste Management of Illinois—were recognized as “Prairie Champions” for supporting ecological restoration at the U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service’s Midewin National Tallgrass Prairie, in Wilmington.

Contos Smile Center Takes the Fear Out of Dentistry

The doctors practice a full scope of general, family and cosmetic dentistry, with expertise ranging from porcelain veneers to dental implants, crowns and bridges.

Eat Local and Support Urban and Suburban Food Production

The Resiliency Institute, a nonprofit based in Naperville, empowers people to live resilient lifestyles, grow resilient landscapes and build resilient communities.

Personalized Functional Medicine Testing

Marny Turvill, M.D., now offers testing and treatments that can save time, money and frustration, and get people back to feeling great.

Add your comment:
Edit ModuleShow Tags

See More »This Month

Join People’s Climate March at Chicago Area Locations

Together, we can make governments, institutions and corporations divest from fossil fuel,” says Bill McKibben, a longtime environmental advocate.

Taking Control of Our Own Health at Trinity Conference

The Trinity Conference (formerly Health Freedom Expo), taking place on September 22 and 23 at the Renaissance Schaumburg Convention Center, was created to educate and empower its participants.

Learn and Grow with

For more than 30 years, people from all backgrounds are welcome and have explored their spiritual path at the Temple of Kriya Yoga, in Chicago.

It’s Time To Dance This Fall

The CBG Institute for Dance and Health presents a new class, Jazz Mondays, with Kate Wagner.

Aligned Modern Health

With an integrated approach that strives to help patients eliminate the root cause of pain and live life to the fullest, the team at Aligned Modern Health can help restore both acute and chronic joint health issues.

Visit the New thriveMD Offices in Schaumburg

thriveMD takes a proactive, whole-body approach to health care.