This is When the Body RejuvenatesDec 30, 2019 ● By Christy Studant
Quality sleep is imperative to health and well-being
Symptoms of poor-quality sleep include:
- Difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep during the night
- Waking feeling groggy or low energy
- Bloating or constipation
- Muscle tension and aches
- Blurriness or fogginess through the eyes and in the mind
- Irritability or anger
Ayurveda treatments that are beneficial to getting a good night’s sleep include shirodhara, comprising a warm herbal oil poured gently over the head to calm the mind and relax the body, allowing a total experience of blissfulness and rest; and abyhanga, where custom, warm herbal oil is poured and pressed into the skin over the whole body, giving a sense of rejuvenation.
Here are some simple Ayurveda tips to get started:
- A half-hour before bed, do a whole body massage with warm oils of sesame, almond or sunflower.
- Take a warm bath or shower about 15 to 20 minutes after applying the oil
- Drink a calming tea like chamomile, lavender
or lemon balm. Or drink three-
quarters of a cup of milk warmed on the stove, not in the microwave, with two
pinches of nutmeg, one pinch of cardamom powder and one teaspoon of ghee.
- Use essential oil aromas in a diffuser or
warm water set by the bedside. Great oils
for sleep and dreaming are lavender, chamomile, juniper berry, sweet orange,
marjoram and jasmine.
- Make a new habit to go to bed by 10 p.m.
- Turn off phones, tablets, computers and all
other electronics one hour before
sleep. Also dim the room lights close to bedtime.
- Do not eat beginning at least two hours before bed.
Ayurvedic treatments from a practitioner can also help to reset our sleep patterns. Many people say that they have never slept so well or felt so relaxed and revived after an Ayurvedic session. Taking care of ourselves is crucial in this modern day of living. We can live a long and healthy life by living powerfully.
Christy Studant is an Ayurveda practitioner, yoga and Pilates teacher, licensed physical therapist assistant and the owner of Live Powerfully Ayurveda, located at 22W550 Poss St., in Glen Ellyn. For more information, call 630-460-1211 or visit WeLivePowerfully.com.